JP Alternative Ed
J P Alternative Education
Each week pupils spend a day out of the building taking part in an outdoor education programme. The programme is designed to show our pupils that learning can take place beyond the classroom and its four walls.
The five core aims of the programme are:
– Raise Self-esteem and aspirations
– Promote a healthy lifestyle
– Encourage pupils to take on new challenges
– For young people to have an appreciation for areas of outstanding natural beauty
– Promote direct learning using safe practice in challenging environments
The Outdoor education programme provides valuable alternative, often non-competitive, avenues for achievement, as well as opportunities to develop independence and self-reliance. Through successfully facing up to the challenges which outdoor activities provide, overcoming fears and apprehensions along the way, our young people make major strides in confidence, with implications for all aspects of their development in, and out of school.
The activities can range from rock climbing to hiking, mountain biking to kayaking, and even bush craft to cooking. The inclusive programme allows every young person to take part at their own discretion, experiencing new adventures along the way, which hopefully will spark an interest outside of school.